Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Geo targetting and language
I'm in the process of doing a website for a specific pension aimed at British expats. I want to target France for this site, but my target audience will be English speaking.

Now I seem to remember from some time back, that if I geo-target France from adwords, I have to write the advert in the native language. However, I want my advert to be in English - as I suspect any UK expat living in France wanting specific UK pension advice will be searching in English. Has anyone got any suggestions on this?
October 07, 2009 08:39AM
DamonHD
Subject: Re: Geo targetting and language
I can't see why you'd have to match language with the country given that you know what you're doing. I have had campaigns targeted at English-speakers in non-English-speaking countries on AW.

However, one problem is that many many users leave their browsers set as 'US English' which confuses the picture immensely.

You can be pretty sure that both of the people in France who've set en-GB (British English) as their locale really want it, but beyond that...

Rgds

Damon
October 07, 2009 08:44AM
Troi
I've been wondering about this. This is sort of what I was trying to get at in the yahoo post I put up recently. How do AW ascertain what country someone is in? If I select to just show in France - and the bod has their browser set as you said above - will they see the advert or not? As this product is very specific for UK expats - I don't want a shed load of wasted clicks. Obviously I will try to make the advert very specific - but you know what its like.
October 07, 2009 09:56AM
DamonHD
It is possible to deduce country reasonably accurately (ie in most cases) by the browser's IP address. It's messy: I think that the simplified lookup table that I use had over 100,000 entries/ranges. It doesn't work if people proxy, etc, etc.

Rgds

Damon
October 07, 2009 07:03PM
Pengi
Quote:
if I geo-target France from adwords, I have to write the advert in the native language

Is this an AdWords rule? Does the AdWords terms and conditions have anything to say on this?

If not, why not just try it an see what happens?

Is it worth asking your AdWords advisor?
October 07, 2009 08:53PM
Troi
Not used adwords for so long - when I went in last week just to see if account still existed the interface was so different I couldn't believe it!

I do have phone support - so when the time is right - ie site is finished and in a format that I am happy to go with for ppc - I'll give them a bell.

I'm hoping that this site will be OK for adwords - as no advertising at all. Bit concerned re the taking of personal information - nothing magor - no payment stuff, but name and email - so will have to make sure I have the relative security set up - not quite sure how to do that, but no doubt will get it sorted.
October 07, 2009 09:08PM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.