Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: Bounce Rate
Classic blond question coming up....

Can someone please explain to me exactly what "bounce rate" is - and what I should be hoping for.

I have massively varying figures on this - some landing pages are around the 20% - others are around the 70%.

I'm not totally clear as to which I want. Does a high figure imply they are just leaving my site - or clicking another link on the page - or leaving via an advert?

If your traffic is from adwords - which not all of mine is - is this indicative that you are not landing the people on a relevant page?
December 04, 2007 09:43AM
nitewing
Subject: Re: Bounce Rate
As far as I know it is how long a surfer is on your site. Comes on then bounces off.

Ann
December 04, 2007 01:16PM
Harold
I think a bounce is when someone lands on your page and then leaves the page and site almost immediately. It's not a bounce if they stay a set period of time or go on to another page on your site. I wonder if the programs reporting the bounce rate have different definitions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 01:57PM by Harold.
December 04, 2007 01:53PM
Pengi
Yes, my understanding is that a Bounce is when someone arrives at the page and immediately leaves again - by means of the back button or the eXit - ie not by any link or navigation.

I don't know how short a visit would need to be to be counted as a Bounce.

I would guess some visits by bots may get recorded as bounces.

Massively varing figures in bounce rate for similar pages could result from natural statistical variation and small sample sizes. The sample sizes concerned would be the number of visits to each particular page within the time period concerned - I would expect that you would require in the order of 100 visits to a page before bounce rate started to appear relatively stable.
December 04, 2007 08:26PM
Joshua
Administrator
As leaving a page can't be measured, so can't 'bounce rate' be measured accurately. Different statistical programs will use different time frames for calling a visit a 'bounce' (or visit end). Usually somewhere between 30/60 mins.

I can't give any Adwords examples but here is a P-W example:

People landing on our index directly:
Bounce rate - 10%
People sended through Harolds site:
Bounce rate - 80%
December 06, 2007 02:14PM
Troi
OK - thanks for that.
December 06, 2007 02:38PM
Harold
So I'm sending P-W poorly converting traffic, huh? Not surprising--they probably assume that the "publisher" part is to do with print publishing.
December 06, 2007 04:09PM
Joshua
Administrator
I wasn't trying to say that Harold (but expected that response). You can't expect the same rate from visitors, in this case, your site to visit the same number of pages as we (the ones already visiting P-W) do.

BTW.
'Visit end' rate after 1 PV for Damons site is also 80%.

I wouldn't call neither of them poor.

'Visit end' rate for visitors from Khensus profile on WMW after 1 PV is 32%.

It seems all pretty logical to me.
December 06, 2007 05:15PM
Troi
Josh - I understood your point - and don't think there was any aside meant to the quality of traffic arriving - so calm down boys!
December 06, 2007 05:21PM
Pengi
Harold

Anyone who navigates directly to our index page is probably looking for us and already knows exactly what to expect. These people include myself and probable most if not all of our regular posters. (I'm rather intrigued by the 10% who "bounce").

However, I would expect that anyone who arrives at our site from a link on your site is probably a new visitor. You're probably quite right that many of these may have a different form of Publishing in mind given your niche. Nevertheless, 1 in 5 stay for a look - this must be good.
December 06, 2007 05:29PM
Harold
Actually my comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I'm surprised that so many people stay for a bit! I put the link on my site mainly for the PR value.

I had actually added some clarifying text fairly recently so will be interested to hear if the bounce rate goes down.
December 06, 2007 05:35PM
Khensu
That means that 68% of WMW that hit my profile at least look around a bit a PW.
December 08, 2007 02:59AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.